Sumo squats — one of the variations of squats which includes a wide adjustment of legs and socks, unfolded outwards. This position allows you to put maximum strain on your inner thighs and buttocks.
Sumo squats are very similar to other squats. Many people even consider it the same exercise.
We can assume that if the sumo legs are arranged as far as possible and with the plumage the setting of the legs is less wide. In any case, this is a good way to work out such a problematic inner surface of the thigh and to tighten the buttocks.
Sumo Squats: An Overview
Source: Women’s Health Mag
When we talk about what sumo squats are, it’s worth remembering its history. The word “Sumo” is associated with people of Asian descent and their struggle.
It is the exercise to pose them and got the name because when it is executed, we take a similar attitude to sumo wrestlers in the arena.
Sumo wrestlers seem very lazy, but in fact their physical form is very good. They devote several hours of training a day, including stretching and strength training in them.
Sumoists also do similar sit-ups by holding a large stone at chest level. Due to the fact that sumoists constantly stretch their muscles and ligaments, they can squat very low.
In any case, a good route is not superfluous for anyone, especially women.
Knee bends in the style of the sumo help train the muscles in the lower body Affected are areas that do not function in classic knee bends. They have the following advantages:
- Make sure you have a comprehensive study of the muscles, especially the traditional female problem area – the insides of the thighs.
- Develop hip joint flexibility and improve mobility.
- Improve blood circulation in the lower body. This helps to improve the condition of the skin and has a positive effect on the pelvic organs.
- Exercises do not correspond to the location and inventory. They can be done at home.
Sumo squats are more difficult than classic sit-ups. In order to sit down and not lower your knees, you need sufficient physical preparation. The exercise loads the knee joints.
Source: Ainy Cooks
Weight for him should be taken less than for classic squats. And to work off the technology it is better to do without a load or an empty beam.
Which muscles work with Sumo?
With large squats, the load on the muscles is slightly different than with normal squats.
Sumo squats, whose muscles work under which we are now looking, are ideal for girls as it examines the inside of the thighs and it is a problem for many.
The following muscles work in exercise:
- The muscles that drive the inner thighs.
- Quadriceps – anterior thigh muscles.
- Large gluteal muscles are the muscles responsible for the shape and size of the buttocks.
- Hamstrings are on the back.
- Also in the work contain Gastrocnemius muscles, back and press.
- As already mentioned, squats from Sumo are very useful for girls. They correct the shape of the hips, tighten the buttocks, make the legs attractive and slim.
Far squat sumo style distribute the load of the lower body muscle group slightly differently than the classic squats.
The work of the muscles is as follows:
- The leading muscles are the muscles of the inner thigh.
- Quadriceps – muscles of the front part of the thigh.
- Large gluteal muscles are the muscles responsible for the sumo squat shape and size of the buttocks.
- in the job leg flexor (the back surface) continues to be included.
- Stabilize the position of the gastrocnemius muscle, back and press.
As already mentioned, this exercise is especially recommended for girls. It helps to correct the problem area (hips from the inside), to tighten the muscles of the buttocks, to make the legs slim and attractive.
Pros and Cons of Sumo Squats
Sumo squats with a dumbbell or dumbbells, the intensity of exposure to the muscles of the lower body performed, affecting areas that run when left unused by the classic version of the exercises.
In general, the pros or benefits of performing this move can be identified as follows:
- Complex development of the muscles of the legs, thighs and buttocks. Strengthening the traditional female problem zone – the inner thigh.
- Development of flexibility of the hip joints, improvement of mobility.
- Improve blood circulation in the lower body. This affects both the condition of the skin and the health of the pelvic organs.
- Casual exercise for inventory. You can do squats with a wide adjustment of the legs with a barbell, dumbbells, weight, bag, etc. They are ideal for home leg training.
Here are some of the cons:
- The exercise technique is more difficult than classic squats. In particular, to do a wide squat without kneeling in, you need at least a basic physical training.
- Stress on knee and hip joints that are not in the best known position. In ordinary life we usually do not have to squat with legs squashed wide-legged.
Weight for the exercise should be taken slightly smaller than for classic squats. It is better to work the technique in general without additional load or neck.
Sumo Squats: Technique of Execution
First you have to stand up straight and maintain a natural distraction in the lower back area.
Spread your legs, turn your feet out. The width of leg adjustment and angle of rotation are individually selected, but try to spread your legs as far as possible and turn the socks outwards by 45 degrees.
Several times they sit down without weight. If you have managed to bring your hip parallel to the ground and you have not felt any discomfort, you can use this position.
The technique of sumo squats suggests such a sequence
Take the starting position by breaking your legs apart and unwinding your socks. If you make Sitoknocks with a barbell, pay attention to the position of the neck. It should be just below the neck, on the back muscles.
When dumbbells are used, they can be lowered in front of the body in outstretched arms so that the weight passes between the legs when squatting, or take a dumbbell through the disc and also lower it in front of the body. The second option is considered more convenient.
Try not to lean forward while breathing. Squat until hips are parallel to floor. Knees should be on the same level as socks and should not move inwards – this is very important.
Taz will attempt to withdraw to the maximum extent possible.
Exhaling, rising slowly from the lower point.
Exercise is recommended in 3-4 sets of 10-15 times.
If you squat under the parallel to the floor, you can work the gluteal muscles better. Sumo technique makes it possible to distribute the load from the back muscles in the legs, which is particularly important for women who are lower back, usually weaker than men. Exercise can be done with a barbell, dumbbells or other weights.
Steps for technique of execution
1. So you put your feet wide and turn your socks aside. When doing an exercise with a barbell, the neck should be on the back muscles just below the neck.
With dumbbells, they can either be lowered on outstretched arms in front of the body, so that when squatting, the weight passes between the legs, sumo squats or even a dumbbell behind the disc and also lower in front of the housing. The second option is generally more convenient.
2. When trying to minimize forward motion, try to squat to the level when your hips are parallel to the ground. The knees are in this case strictly in the same plane as the socks and do not come in. This moment is extremely important. Pull the pelvis as far back as possible with your flexibility.
3. As you exhale, slowly rise from the lower point.
Perform this exercise 1 to 4 times in 3-4 steps.
If you crouch below the parallel to the floor, the gluteal muscles are more active. But the strain on the knees will increase significantly. Therefore this is not recommended.
This exercise still aims to strengthen the inner surface of the thigh. For girls who want to work on the buttocks, you can recommend a gluteal bridge, wide seizures, Bulgarian seizures and lift the bent legs out of position on all fours.
Worth mentioning is also the location of this exercise in the training of legs and buttocks.
For example, if you perform classic squats, you can alternate them with sumo squats for weeks.
If you avoid ordinary squats, do not overdo squats with quads sumo, use sumo as a basic basic exercise on the lower body. That is, the application of this exercise depends on your goals and goals.
Despite the exotic name — this is indeed the type of sit-ups with a barbell, this is a pretty heavy exercise that involves a large number of muscles. It will be done at the beginning of the training.
To summarize, it’s a good idea to add a few recommendations to make wide squats as effective and safe as possible:
- During exercise, the weight of the body is hot on its heels. When you squat from the bottom, you do it, only your heels on the ground.
- Watch the position of the feet. Her shins are in the plane parallel to the footsteps. Otherwise, a knee injury is very likely.
- Keep your back straight and bend your lower back. Do not try to bend the body more than 45 degrees forward.
- Before warm-up, make sure to warm up and do a little stretching. Pay special attention to the stretching of the inner surface of the thigh.
- Lower barbell or dumbbell Sumo sit-ups use less weight than traditional sit-ups. For girls, you may recommend starting without weight or with an empty neck.
- The view during the movement is directed forward. You do not have to lower your head.
Following these simple rules will help you perform the exercise correctly. And the ideal technique in turn allows you to carefully train the sumo squat inner surface of the thighs to strengthen the muscles of the legs and buttocks.
Perform this exercise with a barbell, one or two dumbbells for maximum results.